The word doula is a Greek word meaning women’s servant. Women have been serving other women in childbirth for many centuries and have proven that support from another woman has a positive impact on the labor process.
A doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical and informational support to the mother who is expecting, is experiencing labor, or has recently given birth. The doula’s purpose is to help women have a safe, memorable and empowering birthing experience.
Doulas do not provide any type of medical care. However, they are knowledgeable in many medical aspects of labor and delivery.
Visitation Birth Services works within San Joaquin, Sacramento, and Stanislaus counties. We are committed to providing compassionate support to mothers and their families. We will meet each mother and spouse where they are at in their birth journey and support them to make their pregnancy and birth an experience they deserve. We believe that all woman have the innate understanding and strength to birth and appreciate the unique birth preferences of each family. We will assist you with the birth you desire by empowering you through your birth journey with information, support, and physical comfort measures.
We understand the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor. We will assist the mother and father in preparing for and carrying out their birth plan. We provide continuous support for the mother and father throughout the entire duration of birth. This support encompasses the emotional and physical needs of the mother. We offer a calming presence, comfort measures, an objective viewpoint, and we help the birthing family get the information they need to make informed decisions.
We are available via telephone or email to answer your questions and address concerns. It’s never too early or too late to hire a doula!
Visitation Birth Doula Services:
We offer a free phone or in-person consultation to address your initial questions or concerns.
- Two prenatal visits
- Become acquainted with each other
- Provide objective information about topics that may be concerning you or that you would like more information on
- Define your priorities identify your birth goals
- Discuss any fears or concerns you may have
- Discuss your birth goals and how you wish to handle any hurdles that may arise
- Discuss your preferences regarding management options and the use of pain medications
- Discuss the pros and cons of your options and will support the decisions you make
- Introduce you to relaxation techniques to use during labor
- Discuss how you will best cope with fatigue and discomfort/pain
- Review how you and your husband’s foresee working together
- Develop a birth plan
- Unlimited communication/support via phone, text, and email
When you go into labor, please call us anytime, day or night, and we will evaluate how you are doing and help you determine what your next step should be.
This early labor phone contact is for us to decide on where and when to meet. We will need approximately one to two hours to get to you from the time you call. We can help you labor and give birth at home, a birth center or at a hospital.
- 24/7 labor support starting in active labor
- Offer continuous care
- Provide physical support
- massage for pain management and comfort
- guided relaxation/meditation
- breathing techniques
- counter pressure
- position changes
- natural tools
- Support and assistance for your spouse so he is able to best assist you
- Provide encouragement & emotional support
- Capture your birth experience through photos and labor notes
- Stay the first two hours after birth to assist with breastfeeding, answer any questions and to ensure that you, your partner and your baby are settled in together
This visit will be scheduled around your needs and can be held at your home, the birth center, hospital, or any place of convenience for you.
- One postpartum visit within a few weeks of birth
- Review your birth experience
- Clarify events that took place around you
- Answer any questions that you may have
- Ask for feedback from you about our role
Visitation Birth Doula Fees:
We have a sliding scale fee for our Birth Doula services. Payment plans are available. Please contact us for details. 209.373.9045